Samantha Trahan works with our commercial clients to solve problems. Her work runs the gamut from assessing current insurance structures, researching archived insurance policies to help policyholders identify potentially available coverage, issuing coverage opinions on incurred losses, overseeing the management of claims, acting as independent coverage counsel evaluating trial and settlement strategies, and litigating disputed coverage issues. When property damage occurs, she help businesses recover insurance funds necessary to rebuild their facilities and compensate them for their business interruption claims. And when commercial companies face the possibility of significant liability to third-parties, she secures payment from their insurers to compensate the injured persons.
Her Recent Matters Include
- Recovering an eight-figure settlement from a tiered insurance program for property damage arising from a fire and partial structure collapse plus the associated business interruption loss.
- Reconstructing a client’s 40-year historical insurance program to identify primary and excess policies available to respond to current claims alleging past misconduct.
- Acting as the insureds’ independent coverage counsel to resolve two different wrongful death lawsuits arising out of vehicular accidents, without contribution from the insureds.
- Acting as the insureds’ independent coverage counsel to resolve two other wrongful death lawsuits arising out of oil and gas jobsite accidents, again without contribution from the insureds.
- Ongoing recovery from the historical Lloyds’ insurance market for long-tail exposure claims.
- Resolving a federal court coverage dispute for a policyholder caught between two excess insurers attempting to shift their responsibility to one another, resulting in a complete dismissal of all claims.
- Creating an agreement between a policyholder and separate tiers of insurance companies to fund underlying plaintiff’s personal injury lawsuit while allowing the insurance companies further time to arbitrate coverage issues arising out of MSA indemnity language.
- University of Texas at Austin, 2000, J.D., with honors
- University of St. Thomas, Houston, Texas, 1997, B.S. Environmental Studies, cum laude
Licensure And Bar Admissions
- State Bar of Texas, admitted to Texas state courts since 2000
- Admitted to United States District Court, Southern, Northern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas
- Admitted to United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US News & World Reports: Best Lawyers in Insurance Law, 2015 – 2022
- US News & World Reports: Lawyer of the Year for Insurance Law in Houston, 2021
- Thomson Reuters: Super Lawyers in Insurance Law, 2015 – 2022
- Thomson Reuters: Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2006, 2008 – 2015
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business in Insurance Law, 2010-2016, 2022
- Texas Super Lawyers is a service of Thomson Reuters
- US News & World Reports Best Lawyers is an annual referral guide from Woodward White, Inc.